The following recipe is excerpted from “Essential Well Being” by Sara Panton and reprinted with permission from the publisher.
If you’re looking for something to naturally wake up your skin, citrus aromas are always a safe bet—they have a natural morning vibe. This blend, in particular, gives off the aroma of freshly-squeezed orange juice, which is really the best way to start your day. As for the skin benefits, Grapefruit and Lemon essential oils have slightly astringent properties, which are nice for toning and tightening the pores before you apply makeup in the morning. Sweet Orange Essential Oil is hydrating, contains the benefits of Vitamin C associated with oranges, and also breaks down excess oil on the skin. I find this brightening face steam especially beneficial when I’m having trouble adjusting to a new time zone while travelling. The fresh aroma helps me perk up, and citrus can help aid nausea experienced after early alarm clocks, wake-up calls from the kids, or flights you need to be on before sunrise.
BRIGHTENING FACE STEAM
2 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil
2 drops Sweet Orange Essential Oil
1 drop Lemon Essential Oil
- Run a face cloth under hot water. Wring it out and open it across one hand.
- With the other hand, apply the essential oils to the face cloth by dotting them randomly on its surface.
- Then, close the two sides of the face cloth together. The warmth from the hot water will heat the essential oils, which helps disperse the aroma and properties throughout the cloth.
- Place the warm cloth over your face while leaving space for your nose to breathe.
Close your eyes, take a big inhale through the nose, pause, then exhale. Repeat this breathing sequence three times. This may seem like a long time, but if you are like most of us, these will likely be the most present and deepest breaths you take all day—so enjoy. Take this time in the morning to ground your feet on the floor, lengthen your spine, and fill yourself up with positivity and motivation for the day. With each exhale, let go of whatever negative thoughts, energy, or worries you have about what the day will bring.
3. After your face steam, use the same face cloth to wipe away any excess dirt. If you are applying makeup after, rinse your face with cooler water to ensure the pores are closed. If not, continue with your regular facial routine.
Creative direction: Alex Falconer
Design: Jenna Vaandering
Editing: Harrison Gill