Our hands work hard for us, and I know right now mine are feeling very dry and worn out from cleaning various surfaces, doing the dishes, and washing my hands often. My mom and I created this recipe for simple hand butter a few years ago when we were both experiencing very dry hands and knuckles during the autumn season in Canada.
This perfect light-as-air whipped hand butter has only a few ingredients: coconut oil (great for locking in moisture) and a favourite essential oil or two (for a beautiful scent). If your hands are very dry and cracked, I recommend not adding essential oils to ensure that they don’t irritate your skin.
SUPER SOOTHING WHIPPED HAND BUTTER
1 cup solid organic virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil (optional)
5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- Add all of the ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Whip on maximum speed for six to seven minutes, or until the mixture starts to form solid peaks like whipped cream.
- Gently scoop the hand butter into a container with a lid.
- Using your fingers or a spoon, scoop out the hand butter one teaspoon at a time and massage it into your hands, knuckles, and cuticles.
- Let your hands be still for a few minutes to soak in the butter before touching anything.
Keep the butter in a cool, dark place, away from direct sunlight, for up to two months. If you live in a humid climate, I recommend storing it in the fridge (plus, then when it’s applied it will feel cooling and extra luxurious).