Beach hair—it’s a byproduct of living your best life. A quick dip in the ocean is already a treat for the body and mind, so how lucky is it that your hair reaps the rewards, too?
While too much exposure to sun and salt can dry out your hair, there’s nothing wrong with using a salt spray every now and then for a little extra texture, especially when you don’t have a tropical getaway in sight. Plus, our version is a lot more cost-effective than some of the products out there (so you can save your money for a real beach vacation).
This simple recipe gives your hair that lived-in look, as if you just emerged from the sea, surfboard under your arm à la Blue Crush (the nostalgia is real). We love to keep this spray handy when we have time to air-dry our hair, or for those times when flat, greasy locks need a quick pick-me-up. The coconut oil softens (and smells like vacation), while the pink Himalayan sea salt helps eliminate oil and adds volume. And we chose to include our Pacific Essential Oil Blend for pretty obvious reasons; made with a blend of Basil, Eucalyptus, Lavender, and Amyris essential oils, it has a fresh, watery quality that takes you straight to the beach (even if you’re stuck at the office). And Grapefruit Essential Oil adds a touch of bonus freshness.
BEACHY SALTWATER HAIR MIST
1 tablespoon pink Himalayan sea salt
1 teaspoon coconut oil
25 millilitres warm water
18 drops Pacific Essential Oil Blend
3 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil
How to use it
- Pour the warm (not boiling) water and the pink Himalayan sea salt into a 30-millilitre glass mist bottle and shake until most of the salt has dissolved.
- On a stove, heat the coconut oil until it is melted, making sure it doesn’t boil. Then add the melted coconut oil to the warm salt water mixture.
- Add Pacific and Grapefruit to the mixture and shake well.
- Either apply the mist all over dry hair for added volume and lift, or apply it to damp hair, scrunch it with your hands, and allow to air-dry.
- Enjoy beach hair no matter what time of year it is.